donderdag 22 augustus 2013

Orange Lentil Curry (Dal)

Easy Dal Curry in minutes



I came to the Netherlands in 1984 and didn't know where to find the Toordal
or any other dal I could make a dal curry with. However, this one lentil caught my
eye at the Turkish store and ever since I have used only this dal for any
Indian curries I make. I discovered it cooks in no time & it's also a very
tasty lentil to make our Dal Curry.
I started this Rice & dal with courgette / Zucchini with my son when he was
4 months so also with Ilse & Marijn the two babies who I had baby sat when
they came to me as 3 months old babies.....Now they are all grown ups and
still come to me to have 'Dal & Rice".....
I had omitted the green chilly and the seasoning until kids were
older.

I am sure if you have tried this recipe you will agree with me that it is
the best dal...
It takes probably 10 to 15 minutes to make it and can be stored in the
fridge for another 3 to 4 days.
Always make sure, for the days consumption you take, just warm or steam the
required amount of the food and not heat the entire pan.This way the
food remains fresh for a few days in the fridge and you are not reheating
it.
Ingredients
Zucchini / courgette cut into pieces
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1 slit green chilly (option)
1 cup of Orange lentil (they do look like our masoor dal but its not the
same)
Salt to taste

Seasoning
1 tab.of ghee
2 cloves of garlic sliced into thin flakes
1 dried red chilly split
Juice of half a lemon

Method
Clean the Orange lentil in few changes of water & add 4 to 5 cups of water & allow to boil on medium flame.

Once it begins to boil I would remove
the white foam that forms on top of the simmering pan.

Then add the turmeric powder the green chilly and allow to cook on low flame
with the lid of the pan almost closed for 5 to 6 minutes.
By now it would have almost cooked



Add now the Zucchini / crougette & salt to taste and let it simmer for
another 5 minutes. 
Seasoning
Heat the ghee on low flame and fry the red chilly and the garlic flakes
until they are golden brown.Add this to the dal curry & add a tsp. of fresh
asefetida/ hing dissolved in water or a few pinches of powdered asefetida /
hing.

Asefetida dissolved in water


Orange lentil /dal is done.
Serve with rice or chapaties



Tips: One cup of this dal is sufficient for 6 persons.
If too thick add boilingwater to the dal curry.

Enjoy!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten