donderdag 31 oktober 2013

Slibtong / Common Sole / Nangu mien


Recently when I was buying my fish I saw this man in front of me ordering this fish which I have never bought. I asked him how to prepare this fish and he was too eager to tell me, remarking"erg Lekker!.meaning really nice" I looked up its name and knew it was called a common Sole in English and Nangu mien in the south of India. I have seen this small flat fish which often reminded me of a
tadpole(sorry!)
I remembered how the fish monger would ask my mum to try this fish but she never bought it and I often heard her remark that it was not a fleshy fish and was good for her cats and dogs:-) ...so I had never tasted this fish back home. I bought a few and did it exactly the way the man had told me I should, and
wow! yes it was one tasty fish! I wish my mum was around to tell her that & I am waiting to go home to make this for my sisters.....
I want you to try it too.....

Ingredients:
2 slibtong / Sole / Nangu
Butter
Black pepper
Salt

Method:
When you buy this fish,  insist they remove the skin for you. Just clean it and wipe the fish with a kitchen paper and sprinkle salt and generous pinches of crushed black pepper. Then fry the same in butter until brown on either side.This will take about 10 to 12 minutes.
Done!
















Note to remember:
- Use lemon juice to clean your hands or even a bit of tooth paste to get rid
of all the raw smell of the fish.

-I have dipped the fish in fine semolina but this is an option.You can sprinkle a bit of white flour / maida or rice powder.
Its an expencive fish but is worth trying.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten