donderdag 5 september 2013

Sheera / Khesari

As a kid I never liked this sweet dish.It was only recently I had started tasting it.
I made this as an item for the Friday dinners and realised how everyone
liked it.
(I still have to like it though ;-).....perhaps its because i am not really fond of sweets)

However, I must say it's a very easy, sweet dish one could make & I could remember how my mum would slowly slip into the kitchen when we got unexpected guests and in no time serve the guests hot Sheera and coffee.

In Udupi, my home town, we called it Sheera or Khesari.The name Khesari was given perhaps because of the keser(saffron) which gave out a beautiful golden color to this dish.

This recipe is specially here for MANISHA Samal who's favourite dish it is & who has often asked me to teach her how to make it. Here you go...














Ingredients:

1 cup of rava / semolina /griesmeel (fine or medium fine)
1/2 cup of sugar
A handful of cashewnuts split
A handful of raisins
1/2 a cup of pineapple pieces
3 cloves
3 crushed cardamon pods
A pinch of saffron soaked in a tab. sp of warm water
A pinch of salt
3 cups of hot water
2 to 3 tab.sp of ghee


Method:
Heat a heavy bottomed pan and add 3 tab sp. of ghee (click to see how to make ghee).

Fry the cashewnuts &raisins until it turns slightly brown.

Now add the cloves and the rava/ semolina and fry on medium flame taking care not to burn the
mixture.

Make sure the rava is well coated in the ghee.

This will take about two to three minutes.

Add now the pineapple pieces, sugar & salt and mix well.

Add the hot water & the saffron and mix well. Close pan with its lid and
simmer for five minutes.

Then stir and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Sheera is done:)


Tips:
Serve this hot with ice cold mango pulp or even ice cream.
You can serve this hot or cold.

1 opmerking:

  1. thank you so much for putting it up on your blog. I can finally make sheera!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen