dinsdag 9 juli 2013

Potato Stew with coconut milk


Another week another recipe! I hope you have tried last week's recipe and enjoyed it as much as I did. This week I'll show you how to prepare Potato stew with coconut milk. 


As a kid I would never try this dish. Even today it is not my favourite. However, I have noticed how my guest have enjoyed this and have often asked me for the recipe. Even though this recipe has a lot of ingredients, it is quite easy to make. 


So here we go! :)


















Ingredients: ( for about 4 portions)

4 potatoes cut into small pieces 
 (I always count one potato per person and would cut one into about 12 small pieces)
one cup of carrots cut into small pieces ( smaller than the potatoes)
1/2 a cup of peas
2 green chillies split
6 to 8 Shallots or 2 large onions cut into fairly large pieces
2 fresh bay laurel (leaf)
10 whole black pepper corals
4 cloves
4 cardamom pods
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tbl. sp. each of ground ginger and garlic
1 tsp turmeric powder
4 tbl.sp. of oil (I used coconut oil)
few twiggs of curry leaves
1/2 tbl.sp. of butter
salt to taste
400 ml of tined cocnut milk



Make sure you have all these ingredients ready. Now the method:


Take a pan and heat the oil on a medium flame and add the chopped onions, green chilly, ginger and garlic paste and fry this for 5 to 10 minutes until the onions turn slightly brown. 



Add now the salt, turmeric powder and all the rest of the ingredients and stir well.



Allow everything to simmer on a low flame for 20 minutes with the lid of the pan left open a bit. Just stir once or twice in between.



After 20 minutes check if the potatoes are done. If done, take almost a potato out and mash it.



Put this mashed potato back into the pan and cook for another few minutes.



The stew is done!



Garnish with more curry leaves and a knob of butter & switch of the fire.

This dish is served best with buns, bread, rice or parata.






3 opmerkingen: